Thursday 17 May 2012

Run for the Hills


So my dating isn't exact on this because I didn't keep a log of the day when I first slipped on my five fingers and hit the track, but sometime approximately one year ago I embarked on my quest to undo the damage of sloth caused by living through a Yukon winter at a research station. Don't get me wrong, the Yukon was an amazing experience. I met great people. I saw great things. I bulked up my resume and got a jump-start on my thesis. However, when you are alone 5 days each week, doing research and living at a lonely highway outpost there isn't much you can do to stay fit. The avalanche danger was usually too high to do any solo adventuring and net result was a chubbier, lazier version of myself.

It was with resolve in my heart and a spare tire around my waist that I came home last May, determined to get in shape. After a quick stop at Adventure Guide to get my Five Finger Bikila running shoes I was ready to go. My first few runs were tame. The just about needed to be as running to the corner of my street left me winded. I got used to my new barefoot shoes by running the track at the high school near my house. My 11 year-old brother even joined me for a couple of outings. The extend of these runs was 2 sets of 4 laps around the track, amounting to a little over 3 km. Even with a long water break in between it was hard going. The sun was hot and my lung capacity was abysmal, but somehow I managed to fight through it.

After a couple weeks at the track I graduated to the road. It was a tough transition mentally more than physically. The road is where real distance runners trained, especially in my neighbourhood. I couldn't look out my bedroom window for 5 minutes on a sunny afternoon without some fitter, more competent looking person jogging past. If it wasn't for the knowledge that I was being a wimp, and that I would never improve if I didn't challenge myself, I would have probably stuck to the kiddy-pool. My first road run was a humbling experience. I mapped out a 5 km loop around the subdivision that included a couple moderate hills but nothing a 13 year-old cross-country hopeful isn't expected to tackle. The run involved 3 multi-minute rest stops, using up my water supply by km 2, and much wheezing on the side of the road.

Over time the route got easier. The key to sticking with it was that I purposely chose to run through areas I liked. I ran by houses many times larger than my own with perfectly landscaped yards. I ran by forests, and ponds, and schools. I also had my ipod going the entire time. In between "Pump-Up" playlists I enjoyed listening to the audio-book version of Christopher MacDougall's "Born to Run" which is now on my list of favourite books. From my initial attempt, I was able to subtract whole minutes. I timed myself for the challenge and so I could track my own improvement. And improve I did.

Over the months, I extended my route and got comfortable going on 8, 10, and even the occasional 15 K amble through my hometown. I began to feel better, lose weight, and had a more positive outlook on the world. When I moved across the country by car last summer I got to run in places like Sleeping Giant Provincial Park where my girlfriend and I rounded a bend to find three surprised deer staring back at us. Once we made it to BC we explored the trails near our apartment and found giant trees as well as banana slugs. When the weather took a turn for the worse we hit the gym and became avid treadmill runners. I even cut class one day and ended up running a half-marathon distance around campus.

The past year has been a great experience for me in terms of running. I've learned that my own limitations are all mental and that, if I'm willing to put in the work, I am always able to get better at something. I've gained persistence and perspective and hopefully lengthened my life as a result. I realize not everyone loves running. It can be hard, painful, boring, and demoralizing when you're in the thick of it. It's beauty lies in the long-term. Over the course of a health-kick I guarantee the net effect is a positive feeling. You may hate the 30 minutes a day you spend on the treadmill but they make the other 23 and a half hours far more enjoyable as you savour your runner's high. Many of my friends have also undertaken fitness quests this year and I have heard sentiments from them that echo what I have said here. The clichés are true. No pain, no gain. Slow and steady wins the race. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. That last one isn't really about running, but I'm sure it's true, too. So even if you don't think to can, just give it a try. It might not be running but I promise there is something you will love if you leave the couch and get to finding it.

Wishing you all the best of luck and happy trails.

Steve

Image courtesy of discovery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment