Wednesday 11 April 2012

The Time Travel Test


It's funny how when you're in the middle of something it can drive you nuts, but the minute you leave it behind, you miss it. Its an odd trick on human perception that the grass is always greener in the place you aren't standing. It probably has something to do with out inability to make predictions about future emotional states and our inclination to misremember our previous feelings... But let's just avoid that whole jargon laced bag of worms and stick with a light hearted blog about my life.

Back in Ontario I was lucky enough to have the only retail job I could have tolerated. I worked at an outdoor gear shop called "Adventure Guide" for two years. The job allowed me to save money for my eventual move to the west coast, but along the way I got to learn more about the activities I'd always been interested in while meeting great people who shared my interests. Like any job, though, there were some days that grated on me. I suppose it has something to do with my predisposition to boredom but, on the rougher days, I got tired of explaining how backpacks work and which shoes people ought to buy. It happens to everyone I'm sure. You get so used to doing the same things everyday that occasionally you lose sight of the aspects of your job that you once found fun and exciting.

Thankfully I never grew to hate my job and right up until my last shift I was generally happy to be there; something that I know a lot of people will never experience. With this in mind I don't suppose it is overly surprising that I have grown to miss the gear junkie atmosphere. Planning trips, comparing products, incessant arguing. I really did like that job. That is why, a few weeks ago, when I found myself at the local Mountain Equipment Co-Op I caved to my impulsiveness and grabbed an application. To my surprise, a few days after filling it out I got a call and yesterday I was formally offered a part-time job.

I'm more excited than most people in my situation would understand. Most grad students aspire to summer co-op positions of a different nature. One's that will get their feet in the door at companies related to their research. Not me. I'm happy to throw myself back into something familiar and enjoyable. I live in one of the greatest places in the world for hiking and climbing and adventuring in general and now I will be surrounded by people who know all the secret places to go. I have high hopes for my summer.

The lesson to take from all of this is one that most people already know. You don't know what you'll miss until you find yourself deprived of it. Don't become jaded by exposure. Fight to maintain the interest and excitement of someone doing something for the first time. There is a reason kids seem so happy. Everything they do is novel. It's hard to hang onto that feeling but, if you can figure out how to do it, you will have discovered a treasure trove of happiness.

I'll leave you with a simple reminder to be grateful for what you have. I like to take a moment every now and then to stop and think of how the me of, say, 10 years ago might react to seeing the life I lead today. That kid would be thrilled. Out of his mind ecstatic. I owe it to him to at least enjoy things half as much as he would have. I realize this is a chancy exercise but it helps to put things in perspective. If ever the day comes when past me would have been disappointed to see his future, I will owe it to him and myself to make serious changes. For now, though, I'll just enjoy myself.

Cheers,

Steve

Image courtesy of: http://www.cloudcentrics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment