Tuesday 27 March 2012

The Wisdom of Jason Segel


Christopher Hitchens once said that "wit... is the unfailing symptom of intelligence." That likely explains why so many of the smartest people I have had the privilege of knowing are also the ones that can incapacitate me with laughter. It is also why when someone demonstrates an ability to make me laugh, I am inclined to listen to what they have to say on matters uncomedic.

Jason Segel has been one of my favourite actors for quite a few years. I loved his creepy roommate routine in "Knocked Up" and his care free, fun-loving character in "I Love You, Man" keeps me reaching for the DVD player when I'm feeling down. So, a few years ago, when I was working long days for an environmental company, spending 8 straight hours in a car listening to the radio, I was surprised an excited on the day that Jason Segel found his was onto the airwaves.

What he talked about on the day that I happened to be listening was not a new movie or TV project. That was probably what he was supposed to be doing, but in true good-guy fashion, he let the interview go wherever it wanted. The topic shifted to his philosophy for living a good life, and what he said has stayed with me. The Jason Segel tenets of existence are collectively referred to by their creator as "Healthtronics" and are, in their most basic form:
1) Be kind.
2) Exercise.
3) Pursue a passion with vigour.

Now sometimes in life, revelations don't come in the form of completely novel ideas. Occasionally, all it takes to make something meaningful is to have your own value system articulated clearly and concisely by someone you respect. I can't say it had never occured to me to be kind, be fit, and be passionate; but I never thought to explicitly use those three rules as guiding principles for my day to day life. As far as value systems go, they don't get much easier or more fulfilling.

Time and time again when I've felt lost or uncertain, I've gone back to these ideas and let the rest of my problems sort themselves out. It's not very often that I come across something that sticks in my mind verbatim years after I hear it. But when it happens, the idea is probably one worth sharing.

Cheers,

Steve

Original Jason Segel interview can be heard here: http://www.edge.ca/Blogs/ABlogByAdam/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10024472

No comments:

Post a Comment